Saturday, February 6, 2010

Wonderful Friday Surprise

As an update on this post, I got some big news yesterday!

The Dress has arrived! She (I have to call her she because she's just so pretty!) is safe and sound at a little bridal salon I found in Bethel, CT. Yes, she is about 8 months early (4 actually because of our delayed wedding date) but she's here! I called my mom at work as soon as I got the call yesterday and we got all giddy. Then I spent a bit of time going through pictures to really refresh my mind.

The timing of her arrival is funny. I had called the salon the day before to see if she was there yet. No, not yet, but we'll call you. Then the night before I had an awful dream involving a Jersey-Shore-style dress that showed up in her place... actually made out of cotton jersey fabric, and with scraps hanging down ala the scissors style some of the Jersey Shore girls seem to favor. (I searched for a picture but couldn't find one to really capture the trashiness of the dress from my dream.) That nightmare actually woke me up in the middle of the night!

Now the shaping up process must commence in earnest - fittings start in about 6 months. I've heard The Shred and P90X are intense (at least I think those are the names). I used to be a runner and I also would like to incorporate yoga into my routine -- all the stress-busting help I can cram in will be much needed as October approaches.

By the way, the salon where I ordered my dress is Occasions in Bethel, CT. Occasions is a cute little shop I found randomly while I was working in town one day. Gail, the owner, is so sweet and great to work with. The store itself sells wedding gowns, bridesmaid dresses, mother-of-the-bride dresses, prom dresses, shoes, accessories, etc. That being said, it is a small store. It is not fancy. The selection was great for what I was looking for - they carry unique dresses I didn't find elsewhere, and also try not to sell people the same dress who might cross paths - but Occasions is not Kleinfeld's or the like. No glamorous chandeliers or private fitting areas. In fact, as one review I read (after the fact) suggested, yes you will likely see other brides, especially if you go on a Saturday. And you may end up having to switch off in front of the two mirrors because each gives you a different perspective. As someone who always prized getting-ready time with my girls, this didn't bother me. In fact, it was rather fun to trade opinions with other girls and their moms. But I could see how some people want more privacy. And it might be awkward if two girls loved the same dress and had to wait for it to shuttle back and forth, and even more awkward if they had different body types! I never felt rushed, Gail put me in any and all dresses I expressed a desire to try on and she allowed me to come in three successive times to decide between two dresses when I just couldn't decide. (I knew in my heart which dress was the one, but second-guessed myself for a bit... I always struggle to actually make the final call on a big decision like that.) I'll update more about The Dress and Gail and her store as the fittings process commences.

No comments:

Post a Comment